Throughout the Bible, God is given many names. In Genesis he’s the creator. In Exodus he is the I Am. He’s also known as El Shaddai, All-Sufficient One (Gen. 17:1), El Elyon, The Most High God (Psalm 57:2), Adonai, Master or Lord (Exodus 20:7), and so on. There are many names for God, all reflecting different aspects of his character.
This morning as I completed my Bible study, I was reminded of another one of God’s names. It only occurs once in Genesis 22:14. So Abraham called that place the Lord will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.” The name is Jehovah Jireh, which means the Lord will provide. He was Abraham and Isaac’s Jehovah Jireh when he provided a ram for the burnt offering, but he is also our Jehovah Jireh.
As I reflect on 2010, I must say that God has truly been our Jehovah Jireh. In Jan. 2010, our income dropped by $1,300 per month. We didn’t know how we were going to make ends meet and although we cut out expenses, we weren’t able to cut a full $1,300. But here we are a year later. Although things have been tight, we’ve been richly provided for, and all those bad things I feared, home foreclosure, debt collectors, etc. have not come to pass. Instead God has blessed us richly this year. Here are some of the things he has provided for us:
- Big screen TV (this wasn’t even something we had asked for)
- Dining room table with 6 chairs and matching buffet
- A trip to Washington state to be with family on the 4th of July
- A trip to Colorado to be with family for Christmas
- A $100 bill from a stranger
- $200 cash from an anonymous donor
- Another $100 for a story I wrote
- A way for me to make $500 extra that paid for several months of dance for the girls
- A $200 check mailed to us each month from someone who picked up an extra house-cleaning job and the money they make they use to bless us
- A bag of t-shirts were given to me a day or two after I mentioned to the Lord in passing that I needed some
- Hand-me-downs for each of my girls
- A trunk load of groceries from Costco was given to us several times this year
- An anonymous donor paid my way to Ladies’ Retreat
- A laptop
- A new dishwasher
God tells us repeatedly in his word that he will provide for us. Genesis 45:11a I will provide for you there. Gen. 50:21 so then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children. And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. Deut. 11:15 I will provide grass in the fields for your cattle, and you will eat and be satisfied. The list goes on. Other scriptures that reference God’s provision: 2 Sam. 7:10 and I Ch. 17:9, Isaiah 43:20, Isaiah 61:2-3, Jer. 33:9,Eze. 34:29, and I Cor. 10:13.
Through the hearts and actions of others, God has been and is our Jehovah Jireh, and I can’t wait to see what he’s going to do in 2011!